Monday, March 7, 2011

Winterizing Your Home - Windows and Weather Stripping

Thanks for the guest post by Emmett Coffey


After last winter, I realized I needed to make some changes to get ready for the following year. The two biggest changes come from new windows and weather stripping the doors. The best part is the tax credit I'm due thanks to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Tax Act of 2009.

I did some research and found the best replacement windows for my needs were the thermal-type windows. They were a great choice for keeping in the warmth with their double panes of glass. They will also work to keep in the cool air in summer which is another reason I chose them. They are going to pay for themselves by saving me money on my heating and air conditioning bill.

The other improvement I had to do was replace all the weather stripping around the doors. I did not realize just how much cold air was pouring in until I tested it with a thermometer. It read about ten to fifteen degrees cooler that the rest of the house. The whole process was pretty quick and just a weekend DIY-project I did myself.

If anyone else is planning to winterize their homes I would look at these two big heating and energy eaters and I would also suggest checking out JUST ENERGY rewards . With a little investment in time and money I plan to stay warm in the winters and cool in the summers.


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Now following back via GFC! Thanks for stopping by my site!

    http://confessionsofafrugalmind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to my following, Julia. Thanks for visiting. You will find lots of "frugal" information as most of my posts involve money issues. Enjoy!

    Malinda

    ReplyDelete

If you have comments about any topic blogged here, please leave your comments. Talk to me!